Sunday, March 23, 2008

Disappointed Massa baffled by spin

Felipe Massa is hopeful he will be able to bounce back following another disappointing race in Malaysia on Sunday.

The Ferrari driver, starting from pole, looked set to finish in second place when he lost control of his car on lap 31 of the Sepang event, spinning into the gravel.

It was his second consecutive retirement following an engine problem in Australia.

"I feel for sure disappointed, it was not the start of the season that I expected and I feel very disappointed for what happened," said Massa after the race.

"We just need to concentrate, there are still 16 races to go, and we need to have a strong pace for the next race.

"It was for sure, as I said before, disappointing. It was a very safe first and second today and we couldn't finish with one car, we need to recover now."

The Brazilian admitted he was baffled by his spin.

"I had a strange feeling in Turn Six, I went into the kerb quite heavily and then when I went to turn Seven I just lost the car. It is difficult to explain right now what happened."

When asked if he had lost his car because of the lack of traction control, he said: "No. I didn't make a single mistake for the first day, so for sure that was not the case.

"It was not a corner where you need to go very aggressive on the throttle as well, it was a reasonable corner to do so I don't think it was an influence on that."